Tuesday, July 1, 2008

adult friends!


So just after last night's indulgent, melancholy blog entry, I went outside right before bed. I met these two American girls who were really cool. One was 26 and the other, 29. Thank god for people over 20! Talking to them for 5 minutes made me realize that one great source of my recent frustrations has been all the babies I've been hanging out with. So many of the travellers I meet are 19 or 20. I'm sorry, but I can't stand little obnoxious 20 year olds. They're so bouncy and ignorant and wide-eyed and just. . . well, loud. I want to swat them like flies. So I was thrilled to meet these 2 counselors from Chicago. They're funny, smart, single, and mature. We are spending the day together today, then we ride the bus together to Berlin tomorrow. I'm giving myself a pass for last night's bout of self-pity, because I now see that it was due to exhaustion from 4 days of trying to live like a 20-year-old. I'm back on planet 26, and happy to be here once again.

One thing I miss though that I hadn't anticipated is singing. I mean, I miss proper singing like with my band at home, but I also miss just singing in the car. I hadn't realized how much of my day I really do spend singing until I had all of my privacy taken away. I am never alone while travelling, so can never let go and sing. Yesterday, it reached a point of crushing proportions, and I felt as though the song was eating my inside alive, trying feverishly to find a little chink in the armor of my skin to come bursting out. Then I saw two people walking with guitars in the park. I ran over to them and shouted, like a crazed drug-addict, hungry for song, "Hey! Are you going to play?" They said, "Yeah, will it bother you?" I said of course not and begged to sing with them. I got in a few hours, which was enough to quench the thirst for a bit.

By the way, thank you to all of you who have let me know that you are reading my blog faithfully and enjoying it. It feels really good to write again, and it's nice to know that there's an audience for it. Please keep emailing me and posting comments on my blog entries. I may not always be able to respond, but I really appreciate hearing from people.

2 comments:

Alex Paik said...

i hate college kids!

sbl said...

Oh, to be 26 again! You sound fabulous and HAPPY! Really miss you and can't wait to hear the unwitten details when you retun.

Susie