Friday, July 18, 2008

oops I did it again

I was only in Munich for one night last night, so I figured I would experience two of the most important things about Germany: the Hofbrau House and a German emergency room. Remember when I twisted my ankle dancing in Berlin? Well I kept ignornig nagging the little voice inside that said "gee, that still kinds hurts." So last night, on the way home from a fantastically fun evening at the famous Hofbrau House (Dad, I thought of you the whole time), I tried to leapfrog a post in the road, fell, and twisted that same darn ankle again. But this time, I couldn´t walk on it anymore. My friends carried me home, despite my protests of "No really, I´m fine. I can walk - jesus*!?%&$ christ! Ok, maybe I can´t walk." But I didn´t realize that it was bad enough to go to the E.R. until after everyone had left me. So all alone, I rode in an ambulance to the hospital, and all alone I waited. It was kind of fun actually, aside from the burning pain emanating from my rapidly-expanding right ankle.

So here´s the skinny:
The x-rays showed that nothing is broken. However, the space between my tibula and fibula is too wide. This could mean one of two things. Either the ligaments that join these two bones are simply sprained, in which case I will need to use these crutches and take some pain pills for about a week until it heals itself, or the ligament is ruptured, in which case I will need surgery to repair it. The doc couldn´t tell if it was ruptured without doing an MRI, which costs 3000 euros. So he said to walk with the crutches for another week or two, and if it still hurts when I get back to the states, I have to get an MRI to see about this whole ruptured thing. Super. So it´s either a minor annoyance or surgery.

I must take a moment to congratulate myself for how well I´m handling this, though. I hurled myself up to my top bunk when I returned from my trip to the E.R. at 4am last night. I strapped myself to my giant backpack and carried it downstairs myself this morning. I´m no longer travelling with any of the friends I´ve met, so am flying solo with this crazy injury. I feel very independent and I like it. We´ll see if I still feel this way after trying to walk the streets of Venice like this tonight. . . stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH... MELANIE! Which ankle is it? Remember when you fractured your foot when that boy (what was his name?) tripped you on the steps at school; then you fractured your ankle the day after the cast for your foot came off? I wonder if it has anything to do with those injuries? Then, don't forget that you have that hyperflexaligamentum. That might account for some abnormality in your ligaments. Not sure. Sometimes they find a tiny hairline fracture afterwards. How will they find you if they find that? You should have a copy of that x-ray to take home. Also, remember that podiatrist who wanted to do surgery on your flat feet? There have been articles lately about how wearing flip-flops are bad for our feet. Hmmmm ??? I wonder... Oh well. I sure hope this doesn't put a HUGE damper on the rest of your trip, honey. Call if you need help. I'll come carry your backpack for you. ;) Am praying...
Lots of love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

....by the way, it's tibia, not tibula. :)
Love, Mom

Laurie said...

Hello,

I just wanted to tell you, I'm still reading your blog, and I will pray for your ankle.

Brianne said...

well, now that's just the pits!