Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm officially back!

Ok, I know I've been posting on here a lot lately, but when I'm doing the solitude thing I have to tell someone what I do with my days or I'll explode! This blog is like free therapy for me. So grin and bear it.

Anyway, I had a day alone like I promised myself. It was awesome!! I started by laying out at the pool for 2 hours, listening to my ipod and getting a nice tan. I didn't seem to get tan anywhere else I went. It's almost like my skin recognizes it's ethnic home in Italy and wants to help me blend in. Whatever, I'll take it. Then, I had a plate of spaghetti (the sauce wasn't even chunky, mom) and an entire bottle of wine for lunch. I hear those clicking tongues - don't judge me, it was a small(ish) bottle and it was only 4 euros.

Then, into the city. I rocked the sketchy public transportation like an allstar. No pickpockets for me. I had my ipod in and walked with confidence, pushing past everyone just like a the little Italian old ladies do here. Then I walked. And walked. And walked. I walked the diameter of the entire city today, which is no small feat. I planned my streets strategically to hit the shopping districts. I bought so much stuff!! I know, I know, budget blah blah blah. But I needed some new duds to lift my spirits and make me feel a little less feral. So I bought 2 dresses, 4 pairs of underwear, 2 tank tops, 1 sweater, 1 bath scrubby (mine unravelled a few days ago and I just can't be bothered to use only my hands), a few awesome souveniers for people back home, and the creme de la creme of the day. . . (drumroll) 2 pairs of shoes!

Why so excited about shoes? you ask. Well, I'll tell you friends. After buying all of the above-mentioned items, I spotted a Camper store. Now, Camper is one of my favorite shoe brands ever, but they are kind of pricey and we don't have many stores in the U.S., so I have bought them online in the past, but they're even more expensive that way. I knew I shouldn't go in because I had already bought all that other stuff, but somehow gravity just pulled me there. It was beyond my control. I instantly spotted at least 23 pairs of shoes that were obviously made just for me. I thought, what's the harm in just trying a few on? I'm tired anyway, it would be nice to sit for a minute. I started trying shoes on and chatting with the sales guy. He loved my tattoo. We bonded instantly. After trying on about 10 pairs (I was too embarrassed to try any more than that), my sales guy friend said, "I give you a deal. I want to give you the family and friends sale. I not allowed to give sale on only one pair, but if you buy two pairs, I give you half off each, so you get two pairs for only one price." Whoa. Back up the train. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief and heard that squeaky squeaky sound that makes when they do it in the cartoons. "What?" I said. Maybe I heard him wrong. "You would do that for me?" He said, "Well it's only for family and friends, but I like you. So now it's for family and friends and people I like." The clouds over my dreary stay in Rome opened up, and a light of mercy shone down on this poor American girl. (And he's gay, so I knew he didn't have any ulterior motives for giving me this bargain.) I narrowed it down to 2 pairs and bought them. Then, I did the scary, ballsy thing and asked him if he wanted to get a drink when he was done with work. He couldn't tonight, but was so excited that I asked. We have plans to go out tomorrow night with some of his friends that also work at Camper. He said he would show me the real Rome. Finally! I met a local!

After my glorious time in Camper, I had renewed energy. So I decided to keep walking to the other side of the city, even though there was a metro stop right outside the store. I walked all the way to the Vatican. I hadn't seen that yet in this trip, so I figured I should at least walk into St. Peter's square and get a picture of the darn thing. Plus, I think my grandmother might disown me if she heard I was in Rome and didn't at least walk by the Vatican. I walked into the square, did a 180, and said peace out to ol' popey.

Now I am at the end of my long, long day. All I have left to do is get a pizza to go from the brick-oven pizzeria at my campground, take it back to my room, and eat it while I gaze at all my new purchases from the day. I think the sun has come out again for me.

1 comment:

1niceirishguy said...

Hello! I've been reading your blog for the past few weeks. I must say I enjoy your writing. I hope you find what your looking for.

1niceirishguy