Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Birthday America from Europe!


So my July 4th this year was quite different from any others I've had, seeing as I was in Germany with a bunch of people who had no idea that they were all supposed to be eating hot dogs and pasta salad and watching fireworks. But I did have a few touches of the land of the free. I spent the day with an American that I met. (That's us at dinner at the top with two banana beers - yes, they're delicious.) Then, we went to an American Opera, Porgy and Bess. This guy I was hanging out with is an opera singer from the States studying German opera in Berlin for awhile. He knew the inside scoop on this opera stuff. So basically, Porgy and Bess is the most famous American Opera (there aren't many), but it's really difficult to put on because Gershwin insists that the entire cast be black. So this is the first time the Opera had been performed in a few years, at least in Europe . . . or something equally dramatic like that. And July 4th was opening night, so this guy was super pumped about going, being an Opera nerd and all. He invited me to go with him, and I figured it would be a good experience since I had never been to an opera. So we got there an hour early to see if there were any leftover tickets we could get at a discount price. They sell the leftovers for cheaper to students right before the performance. We ended up getting 2 front row seats for 13 euro each!! Those seats normally sell for 130 euro, and everyone around us was rich white old German people who must have bought their tickets ages ago. So on July 4th, there I was watching the premiere of one of the most important American Operas in the front row of the German Opera House with an American Opera Singer. I think that will do instead of pasta salad this year.

No comments: