Thursday, October 2, 2008

This piece of writing is not from me, but from one of my students, who of course shall remain nameless. It is not even a finished piece, just a quickly-scrawled entry in his notebook. I happened to collect notebooks today and stumbled upon this entry. He had never shown it to me, and I'm not even sure which lesson he wrote it in response to, but it stopped me in my tracks. Something about it was just so. . . honest. So simple and beautiful. So I thought I would share it with my blog readers as well. Names have been changed and spelling has been corrected. :)

Josh is my older brother. He's a sophomore in high school, and that means he has a lot of homework! :( So that means he has less time to see me! :( And now he has soccer every day after school, so I have even less time to see him. But when I do see him it's one of the best things! When I pass his smelly old room, I'm reminded of him, so I push open the door and there he was doing his dumb homework. "Hi," I say. Then he got up and placed his computer on his chair and walked over and rubbed my head and gave me the biggest hug ever. "Hi," he warmly said. I loved that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I LOVE this entry! I was so touched when I read it. So deep, so honest, so simple. He loves and admires his bro more than anyone. I was an idolized big sister and didn't even realize how much my little brother worshipped me. I sure did like when he ran upstairs to get my shoes whenever I needed them, or met me at the door with a hug and a request to play when I came home. Thank you for posting this piece!

"Uncle" Travelling Mel said...

I'm so glad you appreciate it! I was hoping you wouldn't mind. (For the rest of my bloggers, this comment is from this brilliant young writer's mother.)