Tuesday, September 30, 2008

patterns

Last night I started taking guitar lessons. I have been writing songs since my separation in February, and I want to be able to put music to them. I have since relied on the guys in my band to match chords to my words. They do a nice job, but it's not always exactly what I hear in my head and it's really frustrating to hear music and not be able to make it real. So, guitar lessons.

So my teacher was showing me how each key had this natural progression of 8 chords that followed the same pattern of being major or minor. He started giving me all of this guitar/music jargon like "Then you can play the 3rd in Gmajor followed by the 7th which is always diminished." Yeah, ok. WTF?? I said, "I'm really trying to learn guitar so I make the music that I hear in my head. I want to match music to the melodies and lyrics I write. How will this help me do that?" He said, "Well, you have learn the patterns - mostly so you can break them. Then you can really do what you want with all the chords."

Whoa. Life-realization moment.

How true is that in almost everything? We have to learn our own patterns before we can break them up. I have had to learn all the patterns my husband and I spent years solidifying so I can now unlearn them. But if I never recognized them, I'd still be stuck in them, like a boring song that just plays major and minor chords up and down a scale in a predictable order. Once we learn our patterns, we can take them apart and put them back together in new, more melodic ways.

2 comments:

Sarah Jessica Farber said...

I like this. I find practicing law to be like this, too. I have to learn all of the procedural nuances and ins and outs only to be able to pounce on the few times they are not correctly done. Likewise, instead of "playing for the fumbles," as they say, and waiting for the prosecution to screw up, I have to look at how the law is, and find a way to suggest what it should be, in order to help a client. In creation there is destruction, and in learning order I can reorder.

"Uncle" Travelling Mel said...

Yes! It's the pulse of the universe. Everything has a complement. In the Bhagavad Gita, they say that the cause of suffering is not that we don't get what we want, but that we get EXACTLY what we want, along with its direct opposite. For example, I now have "freedom," which is exactly what I wanted from my marriage. But freedom's opposite and partner in crime is lonliness. I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but it seemed to be related and make sense in my head. . .