Sunday, September 14, 2008

Finishing

This is not me. I don't finish things well. (And I certainly don't have abs that look like that.)

I am a great starter. If you have a project that you need some energy behind; someone to rally the troops and get things in motion - I am your woman. When I am excited about something, there is no stopping me. I will lose sleep, forego food, and abandon all other responsibilities in pursuit of the new idea, project, or hobby. But once things get rolling, it seems there is nothing to look forward to anymore, and I exit just as quickly as I had burst in.

There are many instances throughout my life where I have observed this phenomenon.

1. Books. If I am not captivated by a book in the first 10 pages, I'm done. Additionally, if I am midway or towards the end of a book I have been enjoying but it turns boring, I'm done.

2. Lessons. Piano, for example. When my teacher made me learn those boring classical songs instead of the songs by Jewel and Mariah Carey in my pop sheet music book, I lost patience and quit.

3. Jobs. I have never given more than 1 weeks notice to leave a job. In fact, I usually quit the same day that I decide I'm done there. When I had an especially bad night waitressing at Red Lobster, I got people to cover my scheduled shifts for the upcoming week, then told my boss I quit when I cashed out at the end of the night. I never went back. I never regretted it.

4. Boys. I have rather high expectations in this department, but this is where it gets confusing. I want all my boyfriends to be perfect - exciting at the right times, comforting at the right times, saying all the right things, etc. When they inevitably fail at this impossible task, I don't necessarily dump them right away, the way I would an unfulfilling job or book. I hold out for awhile, but do eventually let it go in pursuit of something more new and exciting. That's pretty scary for me to read in print.

1 comment:

Sarah Mae said...

Have you ever seen the movie high fidelity? The ending is very insightful.