Wednesday, September 17, 2008

turn signals

This morning on the way to work, I experienced an incredible phenomenon. It seemed that everyone in the greater DC Metro area had lost the ability to use their turn signal. It's a rare disorder that a select few suffer from, but today was a statistical anomaly because everyone who drove in front of me seemed to be afflicted.

Some would slow down almost to a stop before making a surprise right turn. Some would simply stop in the middle of an intersection, much to my bafflement since there were no cars stopped in front of them, and eventually make an unannounced left turn when opposing traffic cleared. Some would merge over in front of me at their slightest whim, without the slightest notice. I was trying to keep things in perspective and remember that there are bigger things in life to get your panties in a wad about than turn signals, but by the time I got to work I was hopping mad and using some very colorful language.

So it got me thinking. Why does the lack of turn signals bother me so much? I think I take it as a much bigger statement. I feel like when people don't use their turn signals, they are saying that no one else matters. The turn signal may be the only device in a car that is soley for the purpose of drivers other than you. When you neglect to use it, you are sending the message that you think you are somehow above this established norm, and that everyone else can just figure it out without your assistance.

But that's just not true! We need each other! We need to admit that we are not driving on solitary country roads here. (Do you feel the analogy part of the blog entry coming on?) We share space on the road - and in life. We need turn signals to help us move smoothly from one part of the road to another. When we don't use them, we run into each other. When we make sudden moves with no warning to those around us, we have collisions. We all need to be responsible to think about how our decisions will affect other people, and to give them a little bit of warning before you cut them off for crying in a bucket! Don't just stop! Don't just change things! Help me out people - tell me why the jeepers you're doing what the bejesus it is that you're doing!! I can't handle it when everything around me is in chaos!

No comments: