Sunday, September 28, 2008

song

I wrote this song today, in the car on the way home from visiting my long-lost friend from college:

I used to know you
I think - well maybe not.
I closed my eyes and called you
by the name that I was taught.
You speak in bold, red letters.
They tell me what it means
dripping from fat Sunday lips
wrapped in American dreams.

I used to talk to someone
at night all alone.
But how can I be sure
you really made my heart your home?
Cause the voice that often spoke back
Sounded at awful lot like me
So maybe you're just something we created
Cause we're too scared to be free.

You don't have a face - you hide.
But they're all pushing through
Please tell me they're not you.

It just really seems like you lied.
This is not how I'm supposed to feel
If like they say - you're real.

Where's the promised safety and security?
Cause I just haven't figured out how to love you without hating me.

3 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Beautiful song - help me understand?

I truly enjoyed being with you - YOU, authentically (wasn't that the word of the night?) you.

"Uncle" Travelling Mel said...

Well it's about god. You know, how I want him the way everyone wants that comfort and truth and all that he's supposed to be. But people get in the way and make you think he's something else entirely. It's about how I want him to be real and I want all the love and mushy stuff that I used to think I had, without all the judgement and guilt and other crap that people put on it.

I had a wonderful time visiting as well - authentically. :)

Sarah Mae said...

Now if only I could actually hear you sing it!