Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ring ring

I cradle my phone in my arms like a small, weaning infant. I stare into its hollow, black face; hoping, waiting for it to light up electric blue and sing to me. It gives me nothing. I carry it everywhere I go - downstairs to make coffee, into the bathroom, out onto the front porch. In the car, I take it out of my purse and rest it delicately in my cup holder for even the shortest of drives. I don't know what I'm waiting for. I don't want small talk. I don't have the energy to say howareyou and whatsup and goodtohearfromyou and talktoyoulater. Yet I wait. Sometimes I feel like this stupid little piece of electricity is an extension of me. Every time it bounces around and bleats out its silly little tune, I know that somewhere, someone is thinking of me. But then they call. And I say hi. And they say hey. And I say whatsup. And they say doyouwannagoto_______ or werehavinga_______doyouwannacome. And I say no. noidon't.

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Here's my two cents:

I think you would really like a husband, but you are afraid that by "needing" someone you are somehow less independent, fulfilled, strong, etc. I hope (and pray) that you are able to get married again and spend your whole life on the wild rollercoaster that is marriage. It does fulfill us, and I am stronger because of it. I don't think you are just supposed to have God and somehow not be lonely - I think that's why God created relationships - especially marriage - it does fulfill a big part of us. Truly, I don't know how marriages last without God, but I know there are people out there who do it, so I guess it can be done. My heart hurts for you sometimes my friend. Hugs to you!

Sarah Mae said...

By the way, you're writing is so stinkin' good! I can't wait until you write your first book!