Friday, August 22, 2008

nothing

One of my goals this year is to get better at doing nothing. As any of you who have traveled know, America is one of the busiest, stressed cultures in the world. We work 60 hour work weeks in an effort to climb to the apex of our careers, just so we can sit at the top of our corporate kingdoms and . . . fall asleep because we have no more energy. I guess that's why Red Bull is so popular. We walk fast, we drive fast, and god forbid you stand on the left side of the metro escalator! Be prepared to be pummeled down by some tiny, heel-clad yo-po (young professional) on her way to capitol hill. We expect our checks to be on the table by the time we're chewing our last bite at dinner. Oh the horrors of actually sitting and talking for awhile after the meal is over. They need our table! Turnover! And don't even get me started on the nutritional atrocities we commit in the name of not having to leave our vehicles to get food! No wonder heart disease is the number one killer of Americans.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. But being in Europe where people take 3 hours for dinner, get 4 weeks of vacation a year - minimum, and have a glass of wine or beer over a work lunch has made me think about my lifestyle here. Here are some things I've done recently to get better at doing nothing:

- Aside from the quit/unquit meeting with my boss, I have refused to go into work this week. Our meetings don't officially start until Monday, and although most teachers are busily scurrying around their classrooms organizing and sharpening and labeling like hyper chipmunks on a Staples high, I'm happy to let the shit pile up in my room until next week.

- I have spent the last 2 nights sitting on the porch with my new roomates, doing nothing. After dinner, we just sit and talk, and watch the very colorful happenings on our little urban street. (We saw a very interesting lover's spat last night between a very gangly-looking, shy man and his powerhouse of a girlfriend whose chest alone could take out a small animal. We would have taken bets on the winner, but the odds seemed rather unfairly stacked.)

- I seem to be in a contest with myself to see how long I can go without showering every day. I sit around in my pajamas (which is really just a wife-beater and underwear) for as long as I can possibly hold out each day. Eventually, I have to go somewhere, or my own stank just overwhelms me, and I give in. I know I can't do this much longer, so I'm lingering in the dirty phase while I can.

Lazy? Some would say, yes. But I like to think I'm just being mindful. I'm living here and now and taking my time to taste the air and experience each, lingering moment as they slowly roll by. sniff, sniff. What's that smell? What? It's coming from me? Oh dear.

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Hey Mel - enjoying your blog! By the way, I stink too, but it's because I have prego sickness and don't want to get wet.

Laurie said...

You weren't kidding when you said you were doing nothing...you haven't even posted in a while.

Where have you gone?