Wednesday, August 13, 2008

dessert

"Did I eat enough to get dessert?" that was my daily dinner question for my mother. It didn't matter what the dinner was, whether it was tacos (which I loved) or beef stroganoff (which I hated - really mom, what were you thinking?), I just wanted to rush through it to get to dessert.

I can't help but see a little of my sugar-crazed, childhood self in me now. As I experience this recent bout of growth, I have been becoming more and more comfortable with being alone. You've read my blog entries - finding my way in foreign cities, finally not feeling cold in my bed at night, rediscovering my songwriting abilities, etc. To the casual observer, I have grown into a downright independent woman - the real, live thing. I walk confidently, speak my mind, love my body, and certainly don't need a man to be happy.

But, if I'm completely, painfully honest, I can still hear that little 7-year-old inside asking, "Did I eat enough to get dessert?" I can't help it. There is still a part of me that thinks I will be rewarded for all of this growth with - what else - a man. That somehow the point of all this introspective solitude is to prepare me to be with another man; to be more successful in my next relationship. I guess it probably stems from my Christian wives-submit-to-your-husbands training from back in the day. The whole, "just look sweet and love God and He will reward you with a husband to take care of you" mentality. (Please, nobody email me Bible verses. I appreciate the thought, but I know them already.) How absurd. How embarrassing.

I am ashamed to think of all the perfectly delicious, nutritious dinners that I didn't even taste, because I just wanted to get to dessert. And you know what the real karma was? I often didn't even enjoy dessert once it came, because I had made myself nauseous from inhaling my meal. I need to learn to love this time in my life for its own, unique perfection, not just as a stopover on the way to something sweeter. Because, the reality is, many meals don't end in dessert. But it doesn't make them any less nourishing, or any less delicious.

No comments: