Thursday, August 21, 2008

Little things

Signs that I am adjusting/accepting my life here:
- I finally took all of my makeup and jewelry out of the little makeup bags they've been living in for the past 2 months and put them in jewelry boxes and baskets on my dresser. They are no longer travel-ready.
- I returned the backpack I borrowed for my trip to my friend. I feel like I've lost a limb.
- I bought sheets and a comforter for my new bed. Wait, even bigger - I bought a new bed! (Well, a new used one.)
- I went grocery shopping and spent more than $12 for the first time since I left my husband in February. Chipotle is about to lose some business.

Signs that I am still not wholly here (on account of a giant chunk of me being left in Paris somewhere):
- I bounced my checking account for the first time in years. I'm usually really good at that. I just don't want to think about money yet. Donations, anyone?
- I threw away about half of my belongings when I moved. I think a little part of me still wants to be ready to pick up and leave at a moment's notice.
- I check my facebook account about 20 times a day for new photos or messages from my travel friends who are still tramping around Europe.
- I start every conversation with someone new with "I just got back from traveling through Europe all summer alone." Like they care. I've been home for 3 weeks now. Get over it.

No comments: